Friday, February 17, 2012

Resolutions are for every day

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’ve about completely disregarded my New Year’s resolutions already. January had a rough start and I was glad to have it over with.  Now that February is here, I enjoyed Valentine’s Day and the threat of snow being a little bit further out of our minds.

On Valentine’s Day, Steve made a steak dinner that we bought at M&S – scallops as a starter, steak and chips for the main course, and hot chocolate raspberry tarts for dessert. It was only £20 plus champagne and chocolates. Very nice. I got my owl print blouse and I bought Steve the candy. That worked out much better even though those Thorntons coffee chocolates are all mine.

But as far as doing all these things I really planned on doing on January 1st, I am just over trying to do everything every day.  I don’t do my 365 photo project now - occasionally I think to do it but even though I pretty much do take a picture every day it’s never poignant enough to post to a special project. I still read and write and edit but I do it as the time is right. I know we should never do things only when we feel like it but, man, this editing is not all it’s cracked up to be. (Yes, I’m still plodding through my NaNoWriMo project.)

And these are goals for each day, just as eating right and exercising is. But on days, like today, I was just not interested in walking to the gym. Routines are fine but they’re way boring really quickly so without a break or change, I’ll resent it more and more.  It’s still too cold to feel like swimming yet but I really do miss it.  Soon enough I’m going to have to make myself pack my gear and jump into that pool even if the babies and aquafit members are having class. 

Per the image above, as I’ve mentioned online, our shower is broken. It has a really low water pressure flow with hot water so it gets chilly in there really quick. You can get clean but it’s not enjoyable at all.  I’d rather take baths every night until the silly thing gets fixed (which is supposedly going to happen on Monday afternoon.) It just makes things a little difficult but we have it way easier than some, I know.

So while I’m handling life at home, I’m always trying to reach some kind of goal each day (hence my blog post tonight.) I have researching to do, book reviews to write, and books to finish (I’m almost done with Catching Fire – wow, this series is amazing. Made me realize that I do like science fiction books.) And these things are manageable if they work themselves in at some point during the day. I read before bed, walk at the mall, take notes on my phone while sitting on the couch as Steve plays Skyrim, etc. It’s good and I know I’ll get my goals accomplished. I guess the key is to tackle things in little chunks rather than trying to create a whole new task system for every day that you know darn well won’t work – at least not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment