Friday, May 11, 2012

Bloggers, what do you use?

So many computers, so many blog platforms.
Aww, I <3 computers in libraries.

I’ve written plenty about blogging in the past, and I’m still interested in the whole topic. Usually I try to understand what makes people use Wordpress or Blogger. Personally, I use both but I keep my main page with blogspot.com.

Still, I read time and time again that to be professional we shouldn’t use self-hosting and that Wordpress is where it’s at. The problem is, most people don’t have cash to throw away on domain names and proper hosting anymore. Most people are using Google during the day anyway and, I’d go as far as to say 9 out of 10 of my library/writer/bookwork Twitter friends use Blogger over Wordpress.

I do understand the notion of having a professional looking site and I am all for having a front-end site that links to the free hosted blogs on Blogger. I’ve seen plenty of well respected writers do it (plus have Tumblr accounts as well) so I don’t really see a problem with using something that takes a heck of a lot less time to get going.

I do love Wordpress and I’m glad they offer the free service now, even if I can’t play with all those nice widgets and apps. I’m not saying I wouldn’t go back to having a site set up with my own hosting and domain name as a professional site – in fact, I’m sure I will. For now I’ll just cross post between the free servers as I have been. Way easier.

Technorati Tags: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1 comment: