Monday, July 8, 2013

Writing and the last of the Summer Whine

The weather app says it’s only 60+ degrees outside, but this flat gets so hot, it’s unbearable. It's so hot in this flat and it makes me incredibly grumpy. In Florida we have weather management systems. This "we don't have air conditioning because we don't need them for more than one day a year" motto is driving me crazy. It's too hot to sleep,  even with a fan. The air outside is hot and even when it cools down, I can’t open the windows to let the stuff air out because we don’t have screens to keep the bees out (they hang out by the computer room window, waiting for me to invite them in) or the cat out (he’s equally waiting for such opportunities.)

So, with that said, I’m just not in the greatest of moods. Usually I’m excited for Monday to start up because I can get work done, maybe get a couple of teaching gigs set up for the week, and so on. Today, I’m just tired, hot, and grouchy. I even tried to get caught up on my Camp NaNoWriMo this morning only to have Microsoft Word give me the “not responding” crap and make me lose the three sentences I wrote.

I’m totally behind on NaNo because of work, and with this technology to fight with, I’m seriously considering getting a word processor like the Neo 2. Taking the netbook out has been okay, but fighting the “not responding” error messages, just wastes time. I try to get the programs to work, and then resort to Wordpad, just to type out something for the day.

I also use to really have grandiose ideas about posting to my blog, Tweeting, sharing photos, and such, but that isn’t really that important anymore either, sadly. I know most people don’t agree with me, but I feel such a decline in social networking that I’m starting to feel that most of it is pointless. I’d never get rid of the accounts all together, but here and there posts are about all that’s necessary each day.

So why not use a word processor instead of going through the task of using a netbook? I use to think the idea was really stupid, but now I really see how handy that would be. Of course I’d have to write and I think the ease and availability of it, instead of having to boot up the computer and force myself to sit and do the work while waiting for technology to catch up would be good. Of course I could handwrite things, which I do for notes and outlines, but the actually word count and productivity needs to be typed.

Now that school’s almost out, it’s time to get busy. Too bad Sims 3 Island Paradise and Animal Crossing have other plans for how I use my time. I get really bored in the daytime now if I’m not at school, and while writing is my hobby, and I have to get down what I can when I have to time, having the whole day to embrace entertainment outlets is just way too tempting for me.

I wonder if they have a support group for procrastinators.

If you need more motivation, like I do, my link for today is Why the First Draft is Usually Awful (And Why it's Ok). Notice that they used the same word processor photo that I did. Great mind, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment