Friday, August 9, 2013

#AugustBreak2013 Day 9

This morning I had to go see the Nurse for my check up (hooray), then I decided to treat myself to a breakfast. Sainsbury’s café was closed for upgrades until the end of the month and both McDonald’s and the M&S café were just ridiculous busy. I had to take my word processor, my book, my Kindle, and myself back home. No work done this morning.

After I ate way, way too much Chinese Take Away (they had a sale at M&S), I took my nap, then had to go out again for the chiropractor’s appointment. My back’s doing better but I’m still under the orders to swim more. I’m not recommended to jog, which I contemplated since the weather’s nice, but he didn’t recommend it. Don’t have to tell me twice.

When I was finished there, I only had about 30 minutes to enjoy my triple caramel frappuccino light and read the preface by Capote in Music for Chameleons. The intro discussed his writing, which is just cool because I forget how much I’ve liked reading Capote in the past. He’s definitely unique with a good perspective on the art.

“I will say only that all a writer has to work with is the material he has gathered as the result of his own endeavour and observations, and he cannot be denied the right to use it. Condemn, but not deny.”

“When God hands you a gift he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation.  ….It was a lot of fun [writing] at first.  It stopped being fun when I discovered the difference between good writing and bad, and then made an even more alarming discovery: the difference between very good writing and true art; it is subtle, but savage. And after that, the whip came down!”

Afterwards, I picked Steve up and we headed to Tesco for dinner and shopping. I love that place. We have a huge, new Tesco now and I can pretty much find everything I need there because they have a lot of American food and kosher food which I didn’t really think about before, but we do use the pickles and the noodles from those aisles in Florida. It’s really been a long time coming to be able to have the food items you don’t necessarily have to get straight away, but you know the option is there. Our Sainsbury's just got flavoured coffee last month (Tesco doesn’t even have that in all, oddly), so the limits are something you’re very, very aware of when you’ve lived in the land of “Get Everything You Ever Wanted 24 Hours A Day.”

Also, when the UK says their store is open 24 Hours, they mean except the weekend. *shakes head in dismay*

My links for today include:

The August Break 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment