Monday, February 10, 2014

A Case of the Mondays for 10 Feb 2014

Beamish Museum

  • Have been sick with a cold for a couple days. Nothing major, just the sniffles, which is still totally annoying.
  • Have decided that alcohol has caused my sleep trouble. When I didn’t have cider or rum and Coke at night, I slept fine. Now, even though I’m exhausted and half sick, I woke up at 5AM. Not cool.
  • Self-publishing is getting more people traditionally published per Mashable’s article: People-Powered Publishing Is Changing All the Rules. This really makes me think that publishers are going to go to popular self publishers first because they know they can sell their books. (And it debunks the “only a very few get publishing deals from self publishing.”) 
  • This also makes me think I should start posting my middle grade WIP on Wattpad. I only put the first chapter of the first book on there ages ago and never saw much point to it. Now I do. (Though people using copyright images for covers freaks me out totally.)
  • I also started wondering what books I like to read in lieu of what I would do best to write. I’m seeing so much formulaic samey-ness in recent books, that I’m wondering if there’s a lot of love going into them by authors, or if they’re just churning out what they think will get noticed.
  • Recent books I’ve read that I really loved: How I Live Now, Liar & Spy, Diary of a Mad Housewife, The Princess Diaries, Of Mice and Men, Anna and the French Kiss – all contemporary;  some historical, one romance/chick lit, and one mystery. I should really keep this in mind when I sit down to plot out another book project.
  • Also, I’ve come to the decision that what we do in life as form or art or career, is simply to combat boredom. I’m actually even wanting to exercise again, just so I have something to do in the daytime. Reading, videogames, television; all mere time killers.
  • I’m still trying to get interested in reading. It’s not as bad as it was, but I’m only reading a few pages at a time. I think my brain is just too restless for any of it.
  • I’m trying to use Twitter less. It’s just the right thing to do, or not do, rather.
  • The internet has just become overloaded with stuff, and people who want to make things miserable for everyone else. It’s not a fun place to play anymore and I’m trying to keep my distance but, again, it’s a thing we rely on now to pass the time. Wake up at 5AM. Nothing to do but check Twitter. Still nothing going on. I can’t wait to be too busy with school again to bother with it.
  • I haven’t worked on my WIP, or any other story planning, for ages. It’s so hard to get back into it once you’ve lost the motivation (Plus, I depressed myself when I did the post about how many writers there are in the world today. Ugh.)
  • We’ve almost caught up with The Walking Dead Season 3, so we can get into Season 4 this week. Just glad it’s finally playing in the UK without a huge wait time.
  • As always with my blog posts, it’s helped me get re-sleepy. I think…

No comments:

Post a Comment